Tuesday, June 08, 2004

A few unimportant words

Today I´m working on my editorial for the next issue, and after finishing my column for August yesterday, I do feel a little bit drained. Our themes for the next issue are dada and surrealism, and I have tried to wrestle huge words like avantgarde and experimental and heritage and modern ...

Beautiful finnish music at this moment by the way is Hypnomen and their latest song with Jonna Tervomaa singing the vocals... I enjoy listening to the radio, it keeps me company. My favorite day is Sunday evening; there´s some wonderful programs on Yle Q: Kauriin kääntöpiiri, Jazzofrenia and Avaruusromua. I usually sit on my favorite armchair with headphones on and listen, and read.

Lately I have been reading a book about Surrealism, Surreal lives. The surrealists 1917-1945 by Ruth Brandon which concentrates on the main characters of surrealism, and dada. It is a well-written, easy-access book reminding a biography, so I try to remain a little skeptic about some generalisations.

I´m glad I read Timo Kaitaro`s book about Surrealism - not about surrealists - first, because if I had read these appalling stories about their trivial quarrels and Breton´s intolerance, I probably wouldn´t have been so interested to read more about surrealism at all...

Tomorrow I`m going to meet our graphic designers again and see what they`ve been up to with the magazine since last week when we met. I will be busy with proofreading next weekend because the magazine has to be ready for printing on Tuesday next week.

Back to the editorial...

No comments: